The named Music Subject Leaders at Our Lady's are Mrs A Innes and Miss K Smith
Music teaching at Our Lady's aims to:
- teach music in line with the Curriculum 2014 document
- develop a love of music which inspires children and increases self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement
- offer the pupils an immediate first hand experience and provide an opportunity to express, compose, interpret and communicate through the unique medium of sound
- ensure that all pupils perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across all historical periods, genres, styles and traditions including the works of great composers and musicians
- offer pupils the opportunities to learn to sing, to create and compose music of their own and with others.
- ensure children have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument
- children can understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated through pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, texture, timbre and structure.
Creative activities in Early Years Foundation Stage enable the children to make connections between one area of learning and another and so extend their understanding.
There is a central resource bank containing a variety of music equipment and literature which are used to deliver the music curriculum. We use 'Bubbles' musical scheme of work to teach music through topics in the creative curriculum.
There are a range of music clubs available both vocal and instrumental and the children have opportunities to perform both in school and in the community.